“Along the Virgin River, 20 miles west of Zion National Park, currently on State Route 9.
The first Europeans to settle in what is now Virgin, came in 1857. By 1864, the population was 336.
Virgin was called Pocketville by the Indians because it is situated in a low spot or pocket on the bank of the Virgin River. The early pioneers called it Virgin City to distinguish it from the Virgin River.
Nephi Johnson, Anthony Stratton, and Andrew J. Workman surveyed the Virgin City town site with homemade instruments in 1866.
Virgin was made a branch of the Toquerville Ward about 1860, with Nephi Johnson as Presiding Elder and with Seth Johnson and George Bryant Gardner as assistants. In 1866, the Virgin Ward was formed with John Parker as Bishop and with Nephi Johnson and George Isom Sr. as clerk. Brigham Young organized the United Order in Virgin on March 4, 1871. Membership in the order was optional. It was discontinued in November 1875.”
*You can find this slice of history and more information directly on the town website at:
They also have a link to their towns ordinances and general plan.